What should I do if I’m injured in an accident?

Seek medical attention right away and keep a record of everything that happened.  Make sure your doctor is aware of what has happened, and take photos of any injuries and write down what occurred while everything is still fresh in your head.

What kind of things can I claim for in a personal injury claim?

In most personal injury claims you can make a claim for pain and suffering (non-pecuniary damages) relating to physical or emotional injuries, past and future wage loss, past and future out of pocket expenses, loss of income earning capacity, loss of housekeeping capacity, past and future cost of care, loss of pension income and sometimes even aggravated and punitive damages 

What if English is my second language?

The lawyers at Taylor & Blair LLP have a large roster of translators they work with to ensure language barriers to stop you from getting what you’re entitled to.

An insurance company is trying to contact me regarding my accident, should I talk to them?

No, do not speak with an insurance company.  Even if you have nothing to hide insurance companies will try to get you to say things that may limit what you can recover from them in the future.

What do I do if there were witnesses to my accident?

If your accident has witnesses take down their name and contact information, as well as a brief outline of what they saw happen. This could be very important later on in your case.

If I had a slip and fall accident is there anything I should do?

Yes, take a photo of the unsafe condition which caused the accident and store and preserve the foot-wear you were wearing.  Often insurers will argue that accident victims were not wearing proper shoes for the situation.  

What if I’m injured on property owned by a city or municipality?

If you suffer an injury on property owned by a city or a municipality, there are special timelines and ways in which you must report an accident.  Failing to do so could end up with your claim being barred by statute.

Is there a limit to the damages I’m entitled to if I’m injured on an International Airline?

There is no limit to the damages you’re entitled to per se, however the strict liability of airlines in international flights is limited pursuant to the Montreal Convention.  For any damages above this limit you will need to prove negligence.

What should I do if I’m in a skiing or snowboarding accident?

If you’re able to report the accident to first aid attendants on the mountain and get the name and contact information of the person that caused the accident.  Quite often it is difficult to identify the person that caused skiing or snowboarding accidents after the fact.

My child was injured at an activity I signed a waiver for.  Can I still sue?

Yes, in many cases you can still sue.  While most companies do not realize this, a parent has no right to waive the rights of a minor and a minor cannot enter into a contract to waive their own rights.  Each case will depend on the wording of the waiver however, so it is important to have an experienced lawyer review it.

What should I do if I get injured on someone else’s property?

Report the accident to the owner/occupier of the property right away.  If there are any witnesses to what happened get their name and contact information.

Is there a limit on what I can claim from a boating accident?

Yes, there is federal legislation that limits damages payable for personal injury from an  accident involving small water craft to $1,000,000.00 total for all individuals involved in an accident, regardless of the injuries and losses of the victims involved.

Will I have to go to trial?

Most cases settle without the need to go to trial.  A majority of our cases are settled through negotiation or mediation.  If an insurance company won’t pay your what you are entitled to then you may need a judge to order them to do so.

How much is my claim worth?

Each claim is different and there is no one answer to this question.  The answer will depend on the severity of your injuries and what other losses you suffer because of them (for example: wage loss, medical treatment costs, paying for home care assistance, etc.).

What if I was already injured or had an underlying condition before my accident?

If you had a previous injury or an underlying condition that was made worse due to the injuries you suffered in an accident, you will still have a claim for damages.  We will factor in the pre-existing issues and the effects they will have on a claim on a case by case basis.

Is there a time limit for when I have to sue for personal injury?

Generally, you have to start a legal action within two years from the date of an accident.  For children, they have two years from the date they reach the age of majority.  This can change depending on the type of accident, so it is important to contact a lawyer right away. 

Why should I hire a lawyer for my personal injury claim?

The insurance adjuster you are dealing with is trained at making sure you get as little as possible out of your claim, or even to disentitle your entitle claim. The lawyers at Taylor & Blair LLP have a deep understanding of the law surrounding personal injuries and the pitfalls that you can fall victim to if you do not.  We make sure you get everything you are entitled to.

What if I can’t make it to your office because of my injuries?

If your injuries are preventing you from meeting with us at our offices, we are happy to come to you.  We can visit you at your home or hospital, or intake you remotely.

What if I already have a lawyer but I’m not happy with the service?

If you are currently represented by a lawyer but are looking to make a change, the lawyers at Taylor & Blair LLP can review your file for free and can take over to ensure you get the quality of service you deserve.

What if I can’t afford to pay for a lawyer?

Almost all of our personal injury claims are handled on a contingency basis, which means we don’t get paid until we get you a settlement.

What if I have other questions?

For any other questions regarding personal injury claims contact the lawyers at Taylor & Blair LLP for a free consultation today.