Each year, thousands of people find themselves in need of a car accident lawyer in Vancouver. Being involved in an accident can leave even the calmest motorist feeling stunned and shaken. When you find yourself involved in an auto accident, contacting a Vancouver car accident lawyer is one of the most important steps to recovery.
Ways to Avoid a Car Accident in Vancouver
While humans are imperfect and crashes sometimes are unavoidable, you can take precautions to lessen your chances of being in a car accident in Vancouver or anywhere else. Try to steer clear of these common driving mistakes:
- Distracted Driving – Distracted driving means any behaviour that takes your attention away from the road: eating or drinking, applying makeup, attending to children, studying a map or your mobile device or even listening to loud music. Nothing is more important than operating your vehicle safely!
- Speeding – Most drivers are surprised to learn the minimal difference in arrival time speeding offers when compared with just driving the speed limit. Don’t take the chance; arrive safely at your destination three or four minutes later.
- Texting – This activity has caused many accidents, injuries and even fatalities in BC. You should never text and drive. If you must text, stop in a nearby parking lot or at least pull over to the side of the road.
- Driving While Affected by Drugs or Alcohol – Due to the many innocent lives lost after an intoxicated person has driven a vehicle, penalties for driving while affected by drugs or alcohol are stiffer than ever. It is a criminal offence to operate a vehicle (even if the vehicle is not in motion) with a blood alcohol content exceeding .08.
- Inclement Weather – Wet roads are slick, requiring reduced speeds and increased following distance. If rain or snowfall is so heavy as to obscure visibility, make sure your lights are on so your vehicle is as visible as possible and use the line at the right-hand side of the road as your guide.
- Tailgating – This aggressive behaviour on the road is never acceptable. While you may feel that the aggression is merited by some action of the vehicle in front of you, you are the one who stands to lose should there be a collision: and there often is.
- Failing to Obey Traffic Signals and Signs – Remember that traffic signals and signs are to be obeyed at all times – not just when you see someone approaching.
Even the most careful drivers can become victims, and without the help of a car accident lawyer, they can find themselves in a sticky financial situation. Let Taylor & Blair guide you through the insurance claim process, to bring you the best possible results.
After a Motor Accident in BC
After a motor accident in BC, assess the scene right away for injuries. If there are injuries, or if you are in doubt, call 911. The police should also be notified so they can arrive and file an accident report. An accident report is very important, as it preserves the details of the scene for later, after memory becomes fuzzy or drivers’ statements change. However, the police may not come if they are busy or believe the accident is not serious. Exchange information with the other driver, including name, number, address, and license plate number. Ask to see the other driver’s insurance. Photograph the scene if you can, even using a mobile device.
Heed Your Auto Accident Lawyer
Any auto accident lawyer will tell you that, even if you feel you contributed to the accident, avoid admitting guilt or apologizing at the scene. The time for apologies can come later, once the air has cleared and the situation has been fully assessed. It will make things much less complicated later. Speak with a car accident lawyer in Vancouver as quickly as possible so that you can be properly represented when the insurance company comes to call.
Call Us after Car Accidents in the Lower Mainland
At Taylor & Blair, we’re always available for victims of car accidents in the Lower Mainland. If you’ve suffered an accident, contact our offices in Vancouver, North Vancouver, Burnaby, Port Coquitlam, Richmond and Surrey for assistance.